Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Oh I'm sorry were we bothering you by expecting some SERVICE?!?!

Allow me to set the scene. A gorgeous, non humid Spring Saturday evening in Savannah, GA. We have made plans with 2 lovely people who've just found out our news. In preparation for the big night out I've 1-taken a lengthy nap to make sure not to nod off during the meal, 2- shaved my legs and put on some stilettos to appear to less bloated, 3- made reservations for 8pm (early enough but hoping just late enough the gnats will have gone to sleep) and 4- tucked my 1/2 card in the purse hoping to help with what will likely be a large tab. The stage is set, the actors (that's us) are ready and then the server had to go and FUCK it up!

Let me just say, that I am a server from WAAAAY back so you really have to suck for me to not give you 20%. We arrive on time (in fact 5 minutes early). I go pee(shocker) and we are seated outside. Then we wait....wait....wait. She finally does decide we're worth greeting (apparently enthusiasm isn't trendy this month) and we place a bottled water order (normally tap but read an article about pregnancy and tap so I have to be a pretentious ass for 40 weeks). I tried to place an order for bread (they charge $3 for it) but she was too quick in running away from us. Our dinner guests arrive (on time) and we wait some more...and some more. I go to that bathroom again.

By the time I return nothing has happened. NOTHING. No bread, no water, and no server. One of our diners goes into order our first of 2 bottles of wine (not the cheapest on the menu). Guy behind bar seems irritated, server no where to be found. YAY water arrives. Test like tap to me but does come in pretty glass bottle. (My super sensitive smell has picked up the lingering garbage odor but I choose to keep it to myself. It's fine. Maybe it'll keep away the gnats.)

Onto the menu and specials.
Server says "We are substituting the ribeye with the filet"
I get excited because filet sounds great.
Server says "But we're out of the filet"
So why even mention it?
Server goes over specials. I try to make eye contact and smile to no avail. She could give a crap.

Bread and wine show up. Great.
Michael and the other male guest decide on the Wahoo (fish special) that the server mentioned. Place order to server.
Server says "We are out of the Wahoo but it comes with some other kind of fish on top. Is that ok?"
Michael "What kind of fish?"
Server "Does it matter?"
My inner monologue. "Are you frickin' kidding me? Of course it matters. What if it's toadfish, or catfish, or jellyfish??? Seriously we're paying top dollar for you to know the specials...at the bare freakin' minimum the specials. You don't even have to be jolly about it but you do have to know it." I chug my water and try to imagine it being the lovely wine my dinner companions are downing. The server gives us a big ole sigh (b/c we're clearly putting her out) as she huffs back inside to find out what kind of fish is the entree special.

Food comes. It's mediocre at best. Which is REALLY disappointing b/c this place used to have exquisite food. I mean if you're gonna drive to a "transitional" area of town and deal with the server who sucks at least the food should be good, right!

FINALLY we reach the end. I'm pretty proud that I'm still awake. The rest of the group is trying to enjoy their 2nd bottle of wine and the 2 cheesecake slices we ordered (cause they were out of the chocolate dessert). I ask the server if they're going out of business and she explains that no there just a small restaurant who doesn't over order things. Yeah, right. By the way NO they weren't busy that night. So we relaxing, winding down and then the kicker.

This crazy beatch and her fellow server start packing up the tables and chairs around us! Don't mind us we only spent $250 with you and yes tipped accordingly (but you server already know that as it was the only time you were attentive to us was to swing by immediately after we signed to get your tip) Packing up the frickin' tables and chairs. IT'S 10PM. Not midnight, not even 11pm. If the pregnant woman is still going strong it's entirely too early for you to start packing it in.

I bid you adieu, trendy not to be open much longer restaurant, as I'll be spending the next 2 trimesters eating my own mediocre cooking at home.

1 comment:

  1. You will NEVER get awful service like that at the abode of Pope/Gurley. and you know the food will be off the chain. we even have 2 bathrooms for your peeing pleasure!

    ReplyDelete